"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

9/03/2010

Classmates

Today, there was another guy in my digital music class that said exactly what I was thinking.

You see, the class is so hard to get into and so hard to stay in, that those who make it are the geeky cream on top of the milky student pile (or the sediment at the bottom...either way separated by polarity of some sort).

It's hard to explain. Maybe because we had to go through so many tests just to make it, we're all so focused on our goal that the class goes very fast. And not only that, but we seem to be on the same track, since every question that has been asked by a fellow student has been one that I wanted to ask and I think it goes the same the other way.

The thing the guy said, though, was, "Man! W00t! This class geeks me up! I feel like an ultra geek like never before!" And after a few digivolving references from the class, I responded, "Yeah. It's kinda refreshing to know that there are this many of us out there, you know?" To which the whole class nodded agreement.

Then today (after my geek-o-meter was maxed out by that class) I went to my easy Physics class and finally had the nerve to sit in a spot not specifically isolated as humanly possible in a student body that size. A girl named Heather sat next to me and as amusing as it is, within a minute I was giving her a tutoring session.

And kinda surprisingly to me, she really seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. We were both early, so it was about 10 minutes in which I helped her understand the first three chapters. Man, I had forgotten what it felt like to teach... and to be accepted in a social setting. It felt really nice.