"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

9/20/2010

"Remarkable Creatures"

Just finished another book. It wasn't at all what I expected, but not really bad either and a book that leaves me lost in thought is always a good find.

The basic idea was of opening up your mind and being persistent through all your trials, but those aren't the things I really took from it.
It was the relationship between the two main characters of the book that I was lost in. And for those who know me, you'll understand why when I explain that it was a close friendship between and older woman and a younger woman. Not romantic (just to clarify), but nonetheless frowned upon by the little community they lived in.

There were things in there, such as the way that they'd go to the beach together to search for curies that made me relive my own memories of working with my own friendship.
They would both go out, but search for the curies as individuals, reveling in the closeness and friendship that they had without giving words to it or losing any of their own independence in the process.

I liked that. It was the sort of balance that gets glazed over. The sort of balance I hadn't experienced until about six months ago.

The two often were at ends. And to be honest, the elder was waiting for the younger one to grow up (something I wish to avoid putting my friend through) for a good portion of the book. But it was a little like looking at myself through a skewed mirror. And I learned a lot from that experience.