"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

11/12/2011

Waking Up

In reading a book, I was posed with a question I've never questioned before:
"What gets you up in the morning?"

For some it's their families, for some it's to make money, for some it's to learn at school, for some it's the gospel... Some use coffee, some use a mantra, some remind themselves of what they need to do...

I looked into this question more and it seems as though it is a widely perceived assumption that there does need to be a reason to get up in the morning. And that's the part I never knew about. For me, there doesn't need to be a reason to get up in the morning. Sometimes there is a special reason such as getting together with someone I enjoy being around, but most of the time there isn't.

Why does a child get up in the morning? I doubt most of them need a mantra or coffee or responsibility to tell them they can't keep sleeping forever. And most don't know about the gospel and aren't interested in earning money yet. Does there need to be a reason?

Once I get up, even on the bad days there are good things. I very rarely have regretted waking up and when I do, there's a direct reason to not get up like pneumonia.

That question then makes me think about others. Does everyone need a reason to get up in the morning? Is it just in our culture? Is it like needing a reason to be happy (another one I don't get)? Or is it just on hard mornings that people need a reason to get up? Or do I secretly have a reason of my own that I've had since childhood, so I just don't readily think about it?