"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

1/02/2011

Organizing

I've been learning something that I'd like to remember for the next time I need to re-learn it, so it's going on here.

I want to set my compass towards the right way and get rid of a lot of the clutter I need to lose before I get there. This has emotional and spiritual components and I'm quite good at spending adequate time on those, but we are made of more than spirit and emotions.

So, it's time to deal with the physical. And for that, I'm heading towards Matthew 6: 25-27.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

It hit me again.

A lot of the stuff I have, I don't need and won't need. A lot of the stuff I do need, I need to get set in order.

It's not as though I am a pack-rat. Rather more like a minimalist (though it doesn't ever feel like it when I have to move :~) but at the same time that gives me more of a responsibility. I don't expect everyone to get rid of stuff, but since I naturally live with less, I think I should live that way.

There's been so much time that I've wasted thinking about temporal things when I could have spent it on spiritual had the stuff just been organized. Like with word documents, pictures, and music. And papers and art supplies.

I guess I'm saying with all my talents and interests, I'm getting distracted from what's really important. Not to say any of the things I'm distracted with are bad, but it gets back to that wrong order thing I'm working on.

And worrying won't add any time to my life, so it's time to get rid of my trust in things and trust in the Lord.