"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

1/31/2011

Flute Practice

I believe it's the journey that really matters.

And in that spirit I've gotta say that I think I have more fun with music than many of my fellow music majors. For it's common practice for me to truly "play" my instruments.

In fact, when people have looked in my practice room are most often confused and/or amused by what they see. Just because "work just can't be that much fun."

"Practice is required. Enjoyment is voluntary." Is a quote I got from a teacher once when I was being scolded on goofing off. But looking at it the other way, I'd say it tells you that you've got to choose in order to enjoy something.

That's how I'd like to live my life. I may not be the best or most studious, but by the time I've made it to the "experienced" point, I feel as though the journey itself was really worth something.

I feel not only as if I've learned. Though I have learned great skills and live a great life, I think that the real point is the love. The same as with people. You may never understand someone, but I think the point is loving them anyway.