"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

2/16/2011

Something Beautiful

Over the past little while something has changed in Carol and I's friendship. A really good change. I'm still trying to figure it out, but either way it's better than it even was before.

So, this Monday morning, we got together for a walk in good company.

I'm still smiling at the memories. We talked about serious stuff, spiritual stuff, funny stuff, important stuff, and not so important stuff. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

That night in prayer, I thanked Heavenly Father for this friendship, but my prayers on that were different from what they were even just one month ago. Back then I thanked Him because I didn't know how I would manage without it.

But this time I said, "Thanks for Carol's friendship. All I truly need in this life is You and if that was it, that'd be enough. But then again, I could live without birds or beautiful sunsets or music, I guess. It'd be hard but with You I'd make it. This relationship is like those things. It's something beautiful... And I'm really grateful for it."

And now that I'm not holding on like a lifeline, things are more relaxed. One of the key things I noticed this last walk was all the laughter. I often couldn't hold it in. And then Carol's laughter itself would make me smile.

It sure is something beautiful. Better than a live aurora and yet, it doesn't have to be spectacular. Some of my favorite memories are ones of us just sitting in Carol's living room listening to music.

During the walk I began thinking of who I was one year ago. It hit me how much had changed. A year ago I was deep in a depression, lost, and "dimmed." Compared with the light and life and direction I have now...

"So much has changed so fast..." I muttered out loud.

I then thought about this friendship and how it changed my life and how it's likely to effect my future with the wisdom I've gained from Carol. One year ago, I could not likely have even imagined a relationship like the one we have already.

So, I turned to Carol, fists on my hips and said, "You know, I blame you for a good portion of those changes."

She grinned and responded to the real meaning behind my statement by saying, "You're welcome." And we laughed because of the wonder of the friendship as well as how it was the tool for a true testimony.

A little bit later, (I think. It's all a happy blur.) I pointed out, "You know, my Mom asked a question that I wasn't quite sure whether to be offended or amused."

Carol said, "Oh?"

"Yeah. She asked me," I threw up my hands in a gesture of hopelessness. "'How in the world does Carol deal with you!?!'"

We couldn't stop laughing for quite a while. Not at my Mom. The question really was valid. But at how funny the question seemed as we walked down the sunlit street side by side as best friends.

Yes, that image of the two of us, so different in age, knowledge, and appearance, and yet so alike in spirit and comradery, walking down the street and filling the air with our laughter... that's something beautiful. Those are the sorts of things that make God smile too, I bet.