"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

11/26/2010

A Happy Thanksgiving

Well, yesterday was an amazing day, I've gotta say.

Carol had invited me over to join in their Thanksgiving dinner, which I already figured would be fun. I also wanted to help with the preparations in order to help, be around Carol, and learn a lot of things I'll need to know at some point.

She said I could and that she'd pick me up, but that's when I realized there was an even better way to start my Thanksgiving. I declined and told her I'd walk.

And boy was it a wonderful walk! I went hopping through the untouched snow for a few miles, watched a herd of deer, got to see the geese migrating South, read a really good book, sang as loud as I wanted, traced the crystal patterns on the edge of a river, played with some dogs, and most of all, felt the freedom and joy of life! All in about 8-9 miles that morning. I'll admit, I was pretty tired by the time I got to Carol's and am really feeling all that off-trailing in my legs today.

And the time over at Carol's... well, I thought I was dreaming for half the time, everything was so wonderful. The back and forth teasing, the spirit and livelihood, and the friendship/kinship I get from Carol just by being around her. In fact, I was usually able to be useful because of that bond. She didn't ask me to do much, but I was able to tell what she needed done. I guess I like that feeling of not being told, but being able to actually be helpful.

I spent some time bonding with Emma and getting her to interact more with the rest of us. And get used to me again. One strange thing about that time period was Carol pointing out that Emma and I had acted like sisters from the start. I wanted to respond, "Yeah, and so did you and I, Carol," but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate, even though we do... Well, I guess we act more like best friends than sisters. Better at reading each others' minds and a little less fighting.

I also got to interact with Charles quite a bit more this time... To be honest, it's a little painful for me to since the more I find out about him, the more real he becomes and the more I long for my own "life-long best friend." Watching him and Carol interact is really nice. Can't explain it, but the playful teasing, the little battles of will and wit, and the laughter, oh and especially the teamwork. It's not seamless, but it's sure better than anything I've seen before. I guess they resonate.

On the ride over, I got Kim to start opening up and being talkative so that she would be that way for the dinner. Just takes a little for to break the ice, but once you do, she's really social. I also had asked Kim for a special favor before we left our apartment. She wanted to come, but she was saying she wasn't sure how long she wanted to stay. I was really sad to hear this, but then asked her if she wouldn't mind staying longer for me and Carol. She hesitated, so I knew she thought about it, but agreed eventually.

Once she was there and saw Carol and I interacting with each other in the no-words-but-real-understanding way, I could tell Kim understood why I wanted to stay. And I was grateful for that.

It's not as though Carol and I were alone or ignoring everyone. I think we each did an admirable job in including everyone else. But there were still plenty of moments that were "just ours." Where she'd say something or I'd say something and we'd glance at each other with a perfectly timed, knowing look.

Overall it was wonderful. And we stayed until all of us were close to falling asleep, so we all were getting kinda dorky. Felt just like a family.

Oh, that's another thing that was great. I felt so happy when I was there helping out and all three members of the family said I was a part of the family. Nothing against my own, but I never felt like I fit into it like this. I love my family members like friends and treat my friends like family, I guess.