"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

10/22/2013

Unexpected Lessons

I've started to come to terms with the fact that this semester was not what I expected it to be. I suppose I expected to grow more perfect. And I'd come back with perfect grades and a perfect, shining love for God that would radiate for all to see. (Oh, and skinny and toned and full of stories of missionary work.)

How terribly proud.

So much is different when you go to a different school in a different country. Not only what they've learned is different, but how they learn and teach and grade is different. I didn't expect that much, I suppose and haven't handled it great. I am learning loads of new educational skills for the way home, but they are not the ones I expected.

I've learned computer programs and problem applications. I've learned new ways of solving things and different points in calculus. I've learned about lab reports and experiment design.

I've found I can teach dance (all my old friends can pause here to laugh) and I'm becoming a better photographer. I'm finding the wonder in gazing at the stars and I'm finding that I'm really everyone's “granny” when my friends aren't the wise, old sages that I tend to hang out with.

And I've found that I'm unique, both good and bad, wherever I go. Believe me that the looks are the same when I run into icy cold water, laughing and splashing, even two and a half thousand miles away. :)

In reality, I have begun to learn about the power and pain of love and friendship. It is more precious than I had realized even with Carol. Part of that is I didn't realize that each friendship is so utterly unique. I would say that I love Carol, Jo-Anne, and Megan equally, but never would I say I love them the same. And I suspect that even if I made a dozen close friends over my lifetime, I would never think of one as the same as another. But I also realize that the closer you get to someone, the more goodbye rips at you. It's an incredible gift, but not one to be held too tightly or it can't soar.

I've learned that it's hard to be Christian and we can be just as crazily fanatic as anyone else. I've learned that logical arguments only go so far and most of us are too stubborn to just love the person that we believe is wrong.

I've learned that Christ promised trouble and life's unfair and someone loving and Christ-like can grow old alone and desperate. I've learned that prayers can be answered and miracles had. But I've also begun to see the hard way that the real miracle is not always the same as what a faithful servant prays for. It reminded me how we had prayed for Mary Ellen to be cured. She wasn't cured of cancer and died. But she became friends with God before she went. And that helped me in my journey later on to know Him. So, was there a miracle? Yes, but not the one we had prayed for with utter faith.

I expected to become some great missionary. Well, ha. I've learned a lot since thinking that thought. It's true, I'm turning people towards Christ wherever I can, but usually God just takes it and does with it what He wants. The point is not becoming a Great Student, but rather a good student of a Great Teacher. I'm starting to get that I am not in control as I'd like to be. And I'm starting to realize that is okay.

Yes, this trip was not what I expected at all. But it is good. Good in that God way that leaves me pleasantly surprised no matter how well I try to get to know Him.