"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

10/02/2013

Party for a Good Friend

So, I have been blessed with a close friend here at Grenfell, something I had not even thought to hope for. She often balances me and I learn from her. But best of all, she joins in with me in my childish endeavors while asking deep philosophical questions that I love discussing.

Her name's Megan and after we became facebook friends I saw, much to my delight, that her birthday was coming up in a few weeks. We started to get to know each other (which has been amazing!) and I realized something that would be a bundle of laughs for me and would mean the world to her was a surprise birthday party. So, the plans began. I made invitations and Chloe said she'd make the cake if I decorated it. Then I went around delivering invitations. This was hilarious because for some reason, Megan kept on unwittingly appearing whenever I was either delivering an invitation or giving opinions on gifts. But thankfully she does not yet know me well enough to know when I'm hiding something. And everyone else did a marvelous job hiding the plan too.

Chloe told her she was making Megan a cake, so we could lure her over unsuspecting. And Megan knew she was getting a gift from me, so I would come along and the three of us would celebrate.

We had everyone come and hide behind couches and around doors. I was sent back to fetch her. Chloe invited her in and after she had taken off her shoes we had everyone jump out and yell, "Surprise!!"

She had a heart attack. Jumping into the air and then silently blushing.

And I couldn't have been happier.

We did all sorts of fun stuff like eating pizza, making ice cream, heavy-heavy hangover (gift game), pictures, and lots and lots of dancing.

Even though Megan was originally feeling sick, you could easily see in her eyes that she felt loved and could hardly have been happier. And we all were glad to see her that way.

I gave her my letter after all the commotion and if you've ever gotten one of "those" letters from me (the ones that take me hours to write because it's hard for me to write from the heart) you'd know why she cried a few happy tears and hugged me after reading it. Stranger still, I enjoyed that hug.

Overall, it was more fun to give than receive, I think. Though Megan and I will probably disagree on who had more fun.