"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

2/26/2012

A Noble Calling

It's amazing how the more you slow down, the faster you can learn. I teach this with my students by telling them to slow down and learn things right slowly rather than to only halfway understand all the material. I also know this works in canoeing and kayaking. A slow steady stroke always gets you the furthest. Who knew it works spiritually too?

In response to this strictly enforced bed rest deal, there's been a lot of learning going on. You see, the way it worked out, I got to see two people each day. One in the morning, one in the evening. Always different people. And by the time they came, I wanted to get out some energy in the only way I could figure was allowed: Games. And the funny thing about board games and card games and sharing meals is you end up inevitably talking to the person. And if you're not careful, you might learn something.

There have been a lot of really good lessons, but one I wish to share is part of one that I had with a friend of mine on Saturday.

It came up between us about big changes that had happened to both of us, being newer converts especially. Deep changes God put on us about what it is we wanted in life.

I finally got to express something that had been forming for a while now. I've been blessed with so many amazing people around. Like a single friend that would foster a troubled teen boy, or some friends that would go on missions, or friends that are learning to be pastors and counselors, or friends that spend a lot of their time in teaching bible studies. I feel blessed to be around all of them, but also left out.

Each time I talk to them, they say that God called them to it and I can tell that they mean it. And yet, when I pray, I haven't heard Him call me to any of those things. I told my friend on Saturday that it felt like all of these people had "noble" callings or spiritual callings, but not me. I wanted one too.

My friend wisely brought up the "body of Christ" imagery and said that she had to remind herself that we are not all eyes, though we might want to be. The body is made up of all sorts and remembering that is key.

That made me think all right. It also made me remember a a quote from Joni Eareckson Tada talking about praising God and saying if it was her call to praise Him from a wheelchair, she'd just praise all the louder.

It humbled me a lot to realize that what I'm going through right now...that is my calling. And it may not be noble, but it's where God wants me to be. And I can rest in that.