"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

3/25/2010

Mind and Body

An interesting thought today that I have somehow missed in all of my musings.

I was reading on the history of physics and philosophy and ran into something intriguing. it was talking about how there was a division once that had to be made between the mind and body, a transition to where the mind was thought of as controlling the body.

But if you follow that backwards, then people before that time believed that mind and body were equal.

it's strange for me to think of now. That might point to a balance issue, but I always just assumed that the mind was far more important than the body. I mean I have taken care of my body with the primary reason to preserve my mind.
And not only that, but I have always heard so much about transcending beyond mortal needs as if it is this heavenly goal.

But what if that is not right? What if they are equal?

That would change how I look at things for sure.