"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

12/10/2013

Corner Brook Community Band

So many memories were made in this band. I guess I expected only to learn how to play with people, but it ended up being that I also learned a lot about camaraderie.

I started out as a very nervous flute, feeling as though everyone there had way more experience than me (and that was not untrue) and thinking that if I worked really hard maybe they would let me stay if I didn't mess up the band too much.

As the weeks went by, they made jokes and I made jokes back. They admitted to messing up so I knew it wasn't just me and helped me when they could on techniques. I recorded rehearsals to practice at home out of habit and they all knew I was trying.

As a result, when we performed, I was sometimes the flute that held things together. (Often not, but there were a few moments each time we played.) I became a full part of the band and I loved them and they loved me back.

We went out to dinner and they had a hard time with the thought of me leaving. I'm still not used to the idea myself even though I desperately miss Bozeman.