"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

12/08/2012

Humility and Respect

I really came to appreciate the guys in my interdisciplinary class this year and it culminated in this final watching and voting on final projects for the multimedia series concert.

Sure, a lot of them tried to put on the appearance of "laid back" and "cool slacker," but I came to know better as the semester went on. They may have been light about things on the outside, but when it came to projects, the work really showed. All 7 projects that were shown in class were exceptional. I was surprised at the level that we each produced. The film students learned to score and the music students learned to shoot and everyone learned to use symbolism craftily to express emotion.

But that wasn't the real neat thing about that class. What was really neat about all of the guys was their true humility. They would create something so beautiful and not be timid that they did, but then they were just as thrilled to see the next person's work as they were their own. So, just because you made something incredible, didn't mean the next guy's work was more or less incredible. So when it came to voting, we were all excited with the choices that got on the show. Like my favorite was honestly not my own, though I really loved how it turned out, it was Jeremy's. And all of us cheered when Edgar made it.

I guess it was the love in that class that impressed me.

Just as I was surprised to finally understand something we have had in our Physics class the whole time. On the last day when Carla was about to leave so we could fill out evaluations, our whole class clapped and cheered. Not because she was leaving, but as a sign of deep respect for Carla as a teacher. She was surprised at first, but then did a bit of a bow. I smiled because her eyes said that she was touched, like she was going to cry from love. Carla doesn't get emotional, but none of us held that against her. I realized it was like a "Dead Poet's Society" moment. Where we said, "Oh Captain, my Captain," and meant it. And she knew that we meant it. I don't know how many professors earn standing ovations for a required course, but Carla did.

Each one of us was proud to call her our teacher and she changed lives in there. Just from a Physics 3 class.