"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

11/17/2012

Milestone in Adulthood

Today was a big day. We had simply wonderful weather, it was my "day off" that I force myself to take each week, Christmas is coming up, I live in a house, and I didn't feel sick. So, I went out and got some on sale Christmas lights and clips from Ace Hardware. I did the first half myself with a smaller ladder borrowed from Stacy. That part went really well.

Then I got the bigger ladder for the tall roof stuff and had Will help (it takes one to hold the ladder and one to climb). It was difficult and we kept running into problems. Thankfully both of us are easy-going, but hard working and laughed our way through much of it. Now all the lights are hung, though we need one more 8 ft extension cord and aren't actually turning them on until after Thanksgiving is over.

It was a milestone in adulthood to me to have a house and put Christmas lights up on it (the frustration helped me feel justified in the milestone label). Like that first time you have a blocked up toilet or the first time you get a flat tire, it was a neat way to say, "Well golly, I'm growing up."


(And since we're not turning them on for a week, I don't have pictures yet.)