"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

10/22/2012

"Innerconnections"

So, in film we just turned in our self portraits. There were many parameters on the project, but the basic gist was we were to pick an idea about ourselves and express it symbolically through film and music.

I chose to do mine on how I mix the worlds of science, faith, and music indiscriminately.

The class really liked it and honestly I was pleasantly surprised. Though of the three subjects I chose, my classmates were only really a part of the music world, each one expressed how they liked different parts mixing. None are Christian, none are physicists, but they all had positive things to say about even those parts of me and how they were expressed. One guy said, "It's like you're saying the same thing just in three languages that I hadn't heard translated between before. Here, it's like they're...they're the same thing just said different."

The piece reflected the happiness I've found as well as the peace. And the excitement of the ever-changing parts of each subject. The really happy section of almost all Gamelan made them laugh because, yes, I am far too happy to be allowed sometimes. Then there were comments on the interesting instruments I used. They asked what they were and I had to admit that mostly it was simply my voice made to sound like a flute or harp or drum.

So, here it is. Compressed a lot on video and audio for easier internet streaming:
"Innerconnections"