"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

12/17/2011

Blessed

My heart has been overflowing with gratitude these past few days, but this morning it hit me especially hard.

First of all, there's walking. I've gotten the chance to relearn what it's like to wobble around on your own. Do you realize how utterly wonderful it is to take that first step? And then another and another! It's really, really amazing! This is a joy I'm glad to have experienced, even knowing the cost.

Then, this morning I realized I'd be seeing an old friend here tomorrow. I remembered back to who I was when she saw me in April. ...how different I was! During the following few months, I felt like I was on an accelerated spiritual learning track. And then I got hit and I found out that that acceleration could speed up. It was amazing how much I could learn in a very short amount of time about life, love, suffering, and humility. I feel so grateful that I was allowed to learn all of that. He really answered my prayer when I asked to follow Him and become more like Him.

And as I was singing that morning, it hit me what happened almost exactly a year ago during a similar singing time. Back last December, I was praying to know God's will for me and He answered it by letting me feel Him there with me. It's an indescribable experience that I've had twice in one year, that being the first time.
That's when I truly understood how good He is and how unmatched His love. I understood the Atonement better than I had (that one nearly blew me away) and I knew that it was a priceless gift I was totally unworthy of.

At that point, my heart felt like it would burst with thankfulness.
I've been so blessed!