"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong." --Gordon Livingston

7/11/2011

Re-reading The Soloist

Well I read "The Soloist" again today. It's been almost a year since the last time and I must say, I think I appreciate it even more now than I did then.

Not only that, but the timing was perfect for it because today, not all too long from when I finished the book, I got together with Carol. It made me appreciate more fully what she and I do and don't have together.

For example, in "The Soloist" one of the things that really rang true with me this time is that after Nathaniel and Steve fought there was a time they were both hurting. But then Steve came back and they simply stood by one another, not needing words. Then when Steve spoke it was about something, something that didn't really matter, but they both understood what it meant.

This is a difficult concept to explain, but it's there in Carol and I's friendship. I can say something and know she knows what it means for me. And vice versa.

We don't share to each other about other relationships, however. I mean, I smile when she melts into Charles' embrace and she shakes her head at my little dating woes, but other than one time back in January, we don't discuss it. Or any other relationships really. I know she has friends and she knows I have friends, but we don't talk about them except in stories of other things.

There's a sense of on going teamwork or camaraderie, but one part that really sticks out to me is the individual-ness too. Like with flute, we talk about the woes and wonders of playing it. And then we also intermix asking and telling about our personal lessons. We know we're at different levels and taking lessons from different teachers... so it's a wonderful balance. When there's a battle to be fought (or her daughter to be outwitted) we team up seamlessly, but we are each strong and growing as an individual. I really appreciate that quality for spiritual stuff.

One thing that really struck me tonight because it's so utterly different from the Ayer/Loez friendship was I noticed how much we laugh. And the funny thing is, her laughter makes me smile, and when I smile, she often laughs (not sure on causation there). And that's something I really love about this. I guess it's joy that I feel. It feels deeper than happiness and it feels like God is behind it. And this friendship often has me feeling so bubbly and light that I can't help but laugh.

Fellowship. It's phileo. Sisterly love. Life changing. A wonderful friendship.